Your support helps Heifer implement proven strategies for lasting positive change.
As a Heifer donor, we know you share our desire to work together to change the world. Now we have the opportunity to transform lives on a greater scale than ever before.
Hunger, the world’s number one health risk, continues to victimize much of humanity. Perhaps the most striking indication of how severe this problem remains is that nearly half of all deaths to children under five years old occur because a family did not have enough to eat. Many of those innocent lives could have been saved.
With more than 70 years of experience and a global network of partners already in place, we are moving to scale up our impact and bring opportunity to places where families are struggling with extreme poverty. Our unique approach involves enhancing the capacity of vulnerable small-scale farmers, especially women, to secure their livelihoods. Multiplied by strong social capital and women’s empowerment, our work results in a sustainable solution to world hunger and poverty.
We put your support into action to achieve broad and lasting change by:
- Empowering women worldwide. If women had the same access to productive resources as men, 150 million more people would have enough food to eat. Your support today will help us continue carrying out projects that empower women so they can achieve their full potential.
- Increasing income and assets. We’re taking our long-standing model of providing livestock and training to small-scale farming families, and combining it with market-driven development strategies. Your gift will help Heifer farmers diversify income and gain access to markets by strengthening links between the producers, distributors and consumers.
- Improving food security and nutrition. Solving the problems of hunger and poverty requires a comprehensive approach. Your gifts will help train farmers to develop year-round sources of food, access clean water and improve sanitation.
- Growing environmental sustainability. No project can succeed if resources are consumed faster than they are replaced. That is why we teach project partners to use water and energy efficiently, encourage nutrient recycling in soil and use organic fertilizers as an alternative to expensive chemical applications where appropriate. Your gifts will help support restoration projects in deforested areas, promote zero-grazing whenever appropriate and expand the use of biogas digesters and stoves.
- Building social capital. Heifer projects are really partnerships that allow the participants to unleash their potential and take action. Your support will help build social enterprises and networks. These linkages will drive change for generations to come as leadership structures become established that achieve equity and justice, communities begin to advocate for themselves and Passing on the Gift multiplies your impact at an exponential rate.
As you make your gift today, consider the impact you are making by taking your generosity to the next level. Thank you for being a force for transformation in the lives of families and communities around the world.