Strengthening families and communities by supporting women farmers
By attending our farmer field schools, farmers can learn new cultivation techniques and technologies.
- Honey, Dairy, Cashew, Pork, Poultry, Beans, Corn, Coffee, Cocoa
- Active Since
Nicaragua has a tropical climate suited to agriculture. Although poverty levels are falling, about 25% of Nicaraguans continue to live in poverty and are largely concentrated in rural, agricultural areas.
Heifer International began work in Nicaragua in 2000. Our work focuses on building and strengthening farmer-owned agribusinesses in the honey, dairy, cashew, pork, poultry, beans, corn, coffee and cocoa, value chains.
We support local farmers to adapt to climate change, establishing inclusive business models, and work to build strong communities where women and youth take the lead. Our partners include local organizations, cooperatives, farming associations, private sector entities, universities, investment of center, and other NGOs.
391,361 families supported by our work
Through beekeeping projects, we have supported women in communities to generate their own income and produce nutritious food for their families. We have also helped set up 111 seed banks where seeds are stored for upcoming farming seasons. This helps secure their food supply while improving nutrition and incomes.
Our SANSECO II project works with 4,500 families in the dry corridor to plant drought-resistant crops and expand irrigation. Women attend farmer field schools to learn new cultivation techniques and technologies.
Across all of the cooperatives we work with, 80% of leaders are women, who are changing the power dynamics within their homes and communities by generating their own sources of income.
- ADENOCH- Association for the Development of Northern CHINANDEGA – NICARAGUA
- Agricultural Federation of Cooperatives of Women producers of the Nicaraguan Countryside (FEMUPROCAN)
- American Nicaraguan Foundation (ANF)
- Cooperativa Multisectorial de Productores de Café Orgánico de Matagalpa R.L. COOMPROCOM
- ECOM Agroindustrial Corp. Ltd
- Federation of Cooperatives for Development (FECODESA R.L.)
- Fundación Entre Mujeres (FEM)
- Fundations Fabretto
- International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT)
- Livestock Association of Matagalpa (ASOGAMAT)
- Multisectoral Agricultural Cooperative MUSUN R.L.
- Multisectoral Cooperative Flor de Pancasan
- Multisector Cooperative of Production, Collectors, and Milk San Jose R.L.
- National Livestock Commission of Nicaragua (CONAGAN)
- National Union of Farmers and Ranchers in Estelí (UNAG ESTELI)
- National Union of Farmers and Ranchers in Madriz (UNAG MADRIZ)
- National Union of Farmers and Ranchers in Madriz (UNAG NUEVA SEGOVIA)
- Nicaraguan Chamber of the Dairy Sector (CANISLAC)
- Nicaraguan Federation for Women Producers (FEMUPROCAM)
- Nicaraguan Union for Corporate Social Responsibility (uniRSE)
- Promotora de Desarrollo Cooperativo de Las Segovias, Sociedad Anónima (PRODECOOP S.A.)
- Tropical Agricultural Research and Teaching Center (CATIE)
- Union of Agricultural Cooperatives UCA San Ramón
- Union of Agricultural Cooperatives of the Cooperative Society of Small Exporting Coffee Producers (SOPPEXCCA),
- Union of Miraflor Cooperatives (UCA Miraflor)