Heifer The Philippines
55%Live in Rural Areas
32%Rely on Agriculture
18%Live Below the Poverty Line
Approximately 55 percent of the Philippines’ population live in rural areas. The World Bank reports that 32 percent of its total population rely on agriculture for their livelihoods and 42 percent of its land area is used for agricultural purposes.
Philippines ranks 117 out of 187 countries according to the United Nation’s Human Development Index (2014). About 18 percent of its 100 million people live below the poverty line, or $1.25 a day,
and 20 percent of its children under 5 are malnourished.
Our Work In The Philippines
In the Philippines, we are at the forefront of eliminating hunger and poverty. We recently launched a 10-year program aimed at moving 200,000 Filipino families out of poverty by 2023. We have already assisted farmer-led cooperatives and more than 20,000 small-scale farmers achieve higher incomes and productivity through community development programs and value chain improvement. We also integrate community managed disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation in all projects, enabling communities to participate in disaster risk analysis, plan development and make preparations to mitigate the effects of natural disasters.
Leadership training, Business acquisition
High-quality livestock, Post-harvest processing, Animal management, Value chain development
Passing on the Gift®, 12 Cornerstones for Just and Sustainable Development, Cooperative development
Vegetable gardening, Nutrition training
Natural resource management, Agroecology, Climate change adaptation, Disaster risk reduction
Programs and Projects
- Developing Sustainable Livelihoods for Food Security and Self Employment of Small Farmers In Leyte
- Developing Dairy Zones for Smallholder Farmers in the Philippines
- Strengthening Communities & Local Government Units for Sustainable Economic Development and Climate Change Adaptation
- Resilience Initiatives through Sustainable Enterprises and Upgrade of Community Preparedness Project (RISE UP)
- Improving Productivity and Organizational Capacity of Rural Communities for Self-employment and Sustainable Enterprises Project
- Raising Income of CCT Families through Sustainable Agribusiness (RICSA) Pilot Project
- Building Resiliency and Sustainable Agribusiness in Typhoon-Damaged Areas of Central Philippines (BRESA- Haiyan Rehab)