Helping farmers thrive
With modern training and access to markets, Heifer Nepal helps farmers raise quality livestock, improving nutrition and increasing incomes.
- Cattle, Sheep, Pigs, Poultry, Goats, Vegtables
- Active Since
The Himalayan nation of Nepal remains one of the world’s least-developed. The majority of people live in rural areas. Many lack access to food, water, shelter, and clothing.
Two-thirds of Nepal’s population make their living from agriculture and typically, farmers own less than 1.2 acres of land. Local farmers struggle with poor livestock productivity.
Currently, Nepal imports goats to meet domestic demand. Even on small plots, quality livestock can make diets healthier and increase incomes. With modern training and access to markets, farmers can thrive.
Heifer International in 1957-58 at the government’s request, shipped high-yielding breeds of cattle, sheep, and pigs for cross-breeding along with parent stock of poultry and formally began its operation as a country office in 1996-97.
902,880 families supported by our work
Today, Heifer Nepal works with women farmers to increase the meat and milk productivity of their goats, connecting them to the local economy.
Heifer Nepal has reached 255,000 families till date in 43 districts across Nepal.
We work with more than 11,000 self-help groups, 227 cooperatives and three District Unions, linking them to the goat value chain. Through cooperatives, farmers have access to savings and credit, insurance, marketing and other enterprise support, which raises their household income.
Improved domestic goat stocks are reducing imports, paving the way for successful, women-led small businesses. With increased income from higher goat yields, families’ nutrition is improving. And with stable incomes, they can get access to health care and send their kids to school.
Through our projects, 406 local people have trained as Community Agro-vet entrepreneurs and 93 Vet Technicians, providing support within their communities and improving animal wellbeing, while generating their own income.
Our 10-year country plan through 2023 aims to lift 500,000 families out of poverty and into sustainable livelihoods. We are working closely with the government, academic institutions, civil society, and the private sector to reach this ambitious goal.
- USAID/FtF LSIL
- Bothar Foundation
- Rotary International
- Sakchyam- Access to Finance
- University of Florida
- Seoul International School
- Agriculture and Forestry University
- Everest Bank Ltd.
- FNCCI/Agro Enterprise Center
- Government of Nepal
- Himalayan College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology
- Himalayan Bank Limited
- Himalayan General Insurance
- Machhapuchchhre Bank
- National Cooperative Bank Limited
- National Dairy Development Board
- Nepal Agricultural Research Council
- NLG Insurance Company Limited
- NMB Bank Limited
- RSDC Laghubitta Bittiya Sanstha Limited
- Sahara Nepal
- Sana Kisan Bikas Bank Limited
- Shikhar Insurance Limited
- Siddhartha Insurance Limited
- Tufts University
- Department of Livestock Services
- Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock Department
- International Fund for Agriculture Development
- International Red Cross Society
- Poverty Alleviation Fund Nepal
- Abhiyan Nepal
- Bheri Environmental Excellence Group
- Bhimpokhara Youth Club
- Environment Protection and Community Development Center
- Forum for Community Upliftment System Nepal
- Himalayan Community Development Forum
- Innovative Community Development Centre
- Integrated Rural Development Society
- Inter Disciplinary Analysts
- Jan Jagaran Youth Club
- Mouth Everest Social Development Organisation
- Mountain Resource Management Group
- Nawa Prabhat Yuwa Sangh
- Nepal Integrated Rural Development Centre
- Oppressed Community Upliftment Centre
- Prayash Nepal
- Rural Economic Development Association
- Rural Women Development Centre
- Sindhuli Integrated Development Service
- Social Development Public Awareness Center
- Social Service and Development Center
- Social Service Environmental and Cultural Preservation Group
- Sundar Nepal Sanstha
- Tharu Women Upliftment Center
- Women Group Coordination Committee
More about our work in Nepal