Rio+20 is the short name for the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development starting today in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. At the conference, world leaders and participants from governments, NGOs and the private sector are coming together to discuss how we can reduce poverty, advance social equity and ensure environmental protection for our planet. This year's conference will focus on a green economy for sustainable development and the institutional framework for sustainable development.
So just what is sustainable development? Well, the UN defines sustainable development as "meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of the future generation to meet their own needs." How do you learn more and keep up with Rio+20? It's easy.
- Read more about the Rio+20 conference here.
- Follow the Twitter hastag #RioPlus20 to stay updated minute by minute
- Check out the Rio+20 Pinterest board where NGOs have been updating the board with important information
- Like the Rio+20 Facebook page
- Check out the UN's YouTube channel with interviews from world leaders regarding the conference
What methods do you think we need to create a sustainable world?
Check out this infographic from the World Bank that shows how green growth is the pathway to sustainable development.