The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is hosting US Food Day today. Food Day seeks to bring together Americans from all walks of life to push for healthy, affordable food produced in a sustainable way. The goal of Food Day is to not just raise awareness about the food we put in our bodies but also where we purchase our food.
We've discussed before how 1 in 6 Americas are living in poverty, which makes it difficult for them to access healthy, affordable food. Today everyone from parents to teachers to local officials to chefs are joining together to ensure everyone has access to healthy, sustainable food.
Food Day is promoting these six principles when it comes to buying your food:
6 Food Day Principles:
1. Reduce diet-related disease by promoting safe, healthy foods
2. Support sustainable farms & limit subsidies to big agribusiness
3. Expand access to food and alleviate hunger
4. Protect the environment & animals by reforming factory farms
5. Promote health by curbing junk-food marketing to kids
6. Support fair conditions for food and farm workers
So what can you do today? Well see if there is an event in your local area you can be a part of today. If not, check out our most recent posts about you can begin to take action in your own life: