Heifer USA works with small-scale farmers to help them transform their communities. We offer an intensive, multi-year Apprenticeship Programs at Heifer Ranch in Perryville, Arkansas. The apprentices will work directly with Heifer USA livestock and agriculture experts and technical assistants. Upon successful completion of the program, apprentices will have a broad range of understanding of many aspects of farming.
- Apprentices receive ongoing mentorship from established farmers and Heifer staff
- Regular check-ins on enterprise plans and cash flow analysis
- Continuing education opportunities
Commitment: One-year initial commitment required for a mid-January arrival. In order to maximize effectiveness of the educational experience, we have developed a 3-year program. The learning objectives & skill development will not be accomplished until completion of the third year. Successful completion of each year is a prerequisite to continue to the next.
Schedule: Apprentices should expect to work between 40-55 hours per week with two days off per week. Frequent weekend and evening work is necessary.
Supervised by: Regional Farmer Engagement Managers
Benefits: Apprentices will be provided a stipend of ~$600 per month. On-site housing provided, if desired; Access to vehicles for local transportation; Potential for profit sharing in Year 2 of program.
Selection Criteria and Skills Needed:
Heifer USA is proud to use sustainable agriculture and food system work as tools for promoting social justice. We are intentionally inclusive of limited resource and socially disadvantaged communities and individuals.
- Passion! Applicant wants to pursue a career in farming
- Self-driven – applicant does not need to be micromanaged
- Hard-working and flexible
- Thrives in a diverse environment
- Whatever it takes to get the job done!
- Willingness to work outdoors during inclement weather
- Willingness to participate in all aspects of production
- Willingness & ability to share housing, including housekeeping chores
Requirements: Minimum age of 18 years old at start of service period, complete required training, and follow all policies & procedures. Must pass a background check.
To Apply: Obtain an application by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 1-855-343-4337 (Press 4). Applications are currently being accepted for apprentices who will begin the program with arrival on-site in mid-January. Applications can be submitted by mailing, faxing, emailing or dropping it off in person.
Back to Heifer USA