Lesson 4Displaying Culture in Art and Literature, Spanish Version
Available to download for free
After learning about how books were created before the advent of the printing press, your students will examine illustrations to see how they reflect the culture of a story, identify characteristics of their own community and then illustrate a familiar folktale to reflect those characteristics.
This lesson includes extension activities that encourage your students to both compare and illustrate folktales from different parts of the world.
- Grades 5-6
National Standards Addressed
Common Core Language Arts
- Informational Text RI.5.3, RI.5.4, RI.6.3
- Literature RL.5.7
- Speaking and Listening SL.5.1, SL.6.2, RH.6-8.4
C3 Social Studies
- Once There Was and Was Not
- Familiar folktales or fables in printed format
- Paper and colored pencils for each student