Lesson 1Understanding the Story of Flora and the Runaway Rooster
Available to download for free
In this Language Arts lesson, your students will identify elements of setting using text and illustrations, as well as compare and contrast the setting of the story with the physical characteristics of their own community.
This lesson also includes extension activities to help students further connect with Flora and her village in Rwanda.
- Grades 1-2
National Standards Addressed
Common Core Language Arts
- Literature RL.1.7 or RL.2.7, RL.1.10
- Foundational Skills RF.1.4
C3 Social Studies
- D2.Civ.10.K-2, D2.Geo.6.K-2
- Rwanda, Africa
- Flora and the Runaway Rooster
- Art supplies
- Whiteboard or chart paper