Every week we feature a fun and/or educational activity you can try at home or in the classroom. To date, Heifer Mexico has helped rural families in 23 states with over 3,000 farm animals, mainly pigs, sheep and dairy cattle.Over the weekend many families in Mexico will celebrate Cinco de Mayo, the anniversary of one victorious battle in the fight for independence from the French. It is a festival of Mexican pride and heritage celebrated with parades, traditional food and of course, a party with family and friends.
Photo credit: onecharmingparty.com
Paper mache pinatas can be time consuming and messy, but these mini pinatas are a simple, fun activity for kids at a Cinco de Mayo party. They can also be passed out as party favors!
What you need:
- Paper Cone Cups
- Colorful Ribbon
- Hot Glue Gun
- Colorful Tissue Paper
- Candy, etc.
Follow these steps:
- Cut the tops off two paper cone cups
- Top cone: loop ribbon over and tie a knot, then push through the top hole.
- Bottom cone: knot two pieces of ribbon together and push the loose ends through the hole.
- Fill the cones with candy and other party favors.
- Hot glue the top and bottom cones together.
- Use scissors to make fringes with tissue paper.
- Decorate the pinata.