Fluffy and Fido are fine for some, but our youngest Heifer project participants tend to prefer goats. Heifer's 2012 Kids 2 Kids campaign is in full swing right now, making it a good time to list all the reasons goats are the greatest.
1. Goats are gentle enough for even small children to feed and play with. Children get a fuzzy buddy to snuggle with, and learn some responsibility at the same time.
2. A goat can produce up to a gallon of milk a day, and it's the good stuff. More protein, more calories and more calcium make it nutritionally superior to cow's milk, and goat milk is often easier to digest.
3. Are you going to eat that? No? Well, a goat probably will. Goats are indiscriminate munchers, chowing through scrub and scraps that people and other animals wouldn't touch.
4. Goat manure mixed into soil is a great fertilizer. It's free and easy, no composting required.
5. One nanny goat can have two to three kids per year, making it easy to pass on the gift of self-reliance to another family quickly.
Not a bad investment in the future.