Help Families BecomeRESILIENT
Prepare for the Unthinkable
Heifer families from Haiti to the Philippines are about to enter peak hurricane and typhoon season. These coming storms—along with earthquakes, droughts and other natural disasters—can destroy the lives and livelihoods of families trying to lift themselves out of poverty. The damage to their modest crops or small businesses is enough to wipe out everything they have in a single afternoon.
But this does not have to be their reality. When you support Heifer International, you have the power to give families a very special gift—the ability to be resilient. We don't just wait for disasters to happen in order to take action; we work with our families before disaster strikes so they have the tools to face whatever Mother Nature may throw at them, protecting all that they—and you—have worked so hard to build.
We learned how to take care of our livelihoods and safeguard our lives against disasters and avoid suffering the indignity of just waiting for relief. We have become a disaster-resilient community. Evelyn Martinez, The Philippines
Here are some ways your gift today can help families prepare for the worst:
• Train families to be leaders in their communities and develop evacuation and communication plans—including determining which households are most vulnerable
• Teach families how to properly secure their animals and protect their crops from bad weather
• Perform rescue trainings and provide community mapping
• Help families secure assets, clothing and important documents, assemble food, medicine and first aid kits in the case of emergencies
• Provide access to emergency veterinary care in the wake of disaster so that their Heifer animals survive
It’s very urgent we do all that we can to help families prepare, and that we be ready to help them recover in the aftermath. You can help by donating today.