"Now I am More Confident"
Like in so many of the world’s poorest places, women from Lam Bich Phung’s village had very little control over their own lives. Few women there owned land, animals or businesses. Many had no idea of just how much they were capable of until Heifer International arrived.
Our project is bringing men and women together in self-help groups that provide women like Phung with a safe place to discover their strengths, increase their participation in decision-making at the household and community levels, and develop their leadership skills. Combined with the gifts of a heifer, earthworms and grass seed, this training has made a tremendous impact on her life.
“When I joined Heifer I learned a lot,” she said. “Now I am more confident. Heifer focuses more on women and empowers them.”
That confidence led her to take out a micro-loan of $100 from her group’s revolving fund that we also help set up as part of the project. She used it to open a small produce business in front of her home and brings in about $4 to $5 a day. And that’s not Phung’s only enterprise—she also weaves thatch roofing which she sells for profit.
With these additional sources of steady income, she has money for food all year long and her family is now much healthier. And she is building a strong foundation for their future. But there are so many other mothers out there who are desperate for a similar opportunity. They are being denied a chance to contribute, to lead or to succeed. We must help them overcome prejudice.
There are several reasons why your generosity is critical to helping us provide livestock and training to women.
Lam Bich Phung has turned the opportunity she received from Heifer into several small businesses in order to help support her family.
• If women had the same access to resources as men, they would be able to increase the productivity of their farms by as much as a third. That alone could reduce the number of hungry people in the world by up to 17 percent.
• Because women are more likely than men to spend their money on food, health, clothing and education, a $10 increase in a woman’s income has the same impact on children’s nutrition and health as a $110 increase in a man’s earnings.
• There are more than 60 million girls out there who aren’t getting the education they need. But Heifer’s projects are designed to give families a chance to keep their daughters in school where they can reach their full potential.
• We build our projects with women in mind by focusing on resources that specifically address the needs of women to strengthen their access to nutrition and assets.
• We educate both male and female community members on gender equity and justice. Our values-based approach allows room for discussions about gender that lead to a more inclusive community.
• We empower women farmers by providing access to resources, services, markets and marketing support for their products.
It all starts with your support. You are the answer so many women around the world are looking for. So please reach out again today to help Heifer empower women to succeed. It takes you only a few minutes to make your gift—but it will forever change the life of a woman, her family and her community.