Check out these easy ways you can begin to make more sustainable food choices:
1. Make a list before going shopping so you don't buy excess. Why buy what you won't use?
2. If you do buy more than you need, share with a friend. Check out this blog post on how one day I bought too many carrots and shared it with Brooke.
3. Buy foods that are seasonal. This also helps out on your wallet and food budget.
4. Buy local. When you purchase local food it not only helps your local community, but it also uses less resources to travel to your location.
5. Know when the foods you are buying are being harvested. If you do this, you can better plan for what you will buy and save money!
6. Cook more at home. By cooking at home you can control what goes into your foods and know exactly what ingredients are being used.
7. Grow a garden. Try growing organic tomatoes, herbs or even a fun vegetable in your backyard.
8. Bring your own bags to the grocery store. Even if you're shopping locally and knowing what you're buying, it's always a good idea to use reusable bags that also help protect the Earth.
9. Skip the drive-through take out restaurants where the food is heavily processed.
10. Try new things. See a new type of fruit or vegetable at the farmers market or local grocery store? Buy it, try it and you might find something new you enjoy!