Preserving the Environment
Improving health with new technology
Heifer is dedicated to meeting the needs of each community in which we have a presence. A large part of helping people become self-reliant is giving them the means to take full advantage of their natural resources. These methods include providing communities with:
Heifer in Action
Ever since he was a child, Louis Desira had to walk over two kilometers to get water for his home in Maniche, Haiti. Now, thanks to Heifer International, Louis shares a cistern with four other families, right next door to his house. This not only provides him with better access to cleaner water, but allows him more time to work and feed his family.
- Drinkable water. Drought and lack of access to clean water are harsh realities for many of the world's poor. Heifer works to provide these communities with drinkable water.
- Smokeless and biogas stoves. By using manure to make fuel, Heifer farmers are able to stop cutting forests for firewood. The stoves save families money on fuel costs, allow people to cook twice as quickly and keep homes from turning black with soot.
- Reforestation and soil rebuilding. In deforested areas, Heifer trains our farmers to plant trees. To further improve soils, our farmers compost livestock manures which rebuild soils in an organic and sustainable way.
- Cooling centers. Heifer equips farmers with the tools needed to take excess milk and turn it into a legitimate business. Cooling centers, or chilling plants, bring dairy farmers together, where they can learn from each other and provide increased milk quality.
- Zero-grazing. A method of raising livestock in pens or other sturdy shelters, zero-grazing protects livestock from pests, disease, theft and predators, and keeps them from harming fragile farmlands and vegetation. Farmers can also collect manure to use for biogas stoves or fertilizer.
Protecting Natural Resources
Preserving the environment means conserving water and energy, using agricultural techniques that enrich the soil and ensuring a clean, healthy living environment. We are constantly working to find and implement new technologies and innovations that better the ecosystems we work in, so that people can work towards a better life. Help build a brighter tomorrow by protecting the environment today.