We are passionate about creation of wealth by supporting and empowering dairy farmers and dairy social enterprises
1. Consultancy for Development of Training Materials for Dairy Extension Workers
EADD has been strengthening the capacity of dairy producer organizations (DFBAs) to embed the facilitation of dairy farm advisory/extension services as an integral part of their core business. This support is viewed as key in ensuring a sustainable approach to improved dairy production and productivity among the smallholder dairy farmers in East Africa.
Recently, EADD commissioned an assessment on dairy extension services approaches in the region. The findings show that extension workers rarely get opportunities to refresh their technical skills after college. Given that majority are graduates of agriculture and animal sciences, they tend not to be well equipped with much needed additional knowledge and skills in business and market access related subjects.
EADD and partners have during the last 4 years supported the preparation of dairy production & market access training programs and materials on various topics and as per the needs of the farmers. However, the training materials need to be improved on and produced for use in trainings for both extension workers and to some extent farmers.
EADD with partial support form UNDP-AFIM program requests the services of a consultant to finalize the development of these training materials.
- Undertake desk review of available training materials on dairy extension in Kenya and Uganda. Including types, authorship, sources, and target readership of the materials (including the bits EADD and partners have prepared so far)
- Carry out quick and simple trainings needs and skills gap analysis to identify intervention needs for dairy extension workers and targeted dairy farmers.
- Identify the gaps in the key available materials reviewed in part (1) and reflecting the training and skills gaps identified in part (2), with a view of exploring possibilities of filling such gaps.
- Consult with key institutions in livestock research, agricultural universities and extension service providers to enrich a few key selected training materials. (an EADD working group will guide in the identification/selection of priority subject areas)
- Finalize/adapt training materials/manuals- a more detailed technical one for dairy extension providers and a simplified one for dairy farmers (with more illustrations). These materials will be expected to provide very updated and current information and put emphasis on the practical aspects of dairying as a family business. Incorporation of practical examples from EADD sites will be encouraged.
- Facilitate an expert consultation meeting to review the draft copies
- Work with the EADD working group to edit materials based on input from the expert consultation.
- With the assistance of an illustrator/artist, produce suitable illustrations for the materials.
- Compile the final drafts for dairy extension training/reference manual and a simplified farmer reference manual.
- An inventory of dairy extension training materials in Kenya & Uganda
- Report on training and skills gaps analysis for dairy extension workers and dairy farmers
- An Expert consultation and review workshop report
A technical training reference manual for dairy extension providers
- A simple practical farmer’s user guide for dairy production as a family business
- The consultant should have a minimum of Masters Degree in agricultural extension/Education or livestock development or related field.
- They should have experience in development of training materials for different levels and having wide knowledge of livestock development with focus on smallholder dairy practices.
- The successful consultant should be able to demonstrate other related experiences (e.g. publications, engagement on agricultural manual/curriculum development, etc).
Assignment period –March-May 2013. Deadline for Application: 9th March 2013.
Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications may send their application letter, and detailed CV outlining similar assignments and referees to: email@example.com not later than 9th March 2013 addressed to:
The Regional Director
East Africa Dairy Development Program (EADD)
P.O Box 74388-00200, Nairobi, Kenya
This assignment will cover Uganda and Kenya, thus, application is open to Kenyan and Ugandan nationals only, who have a deep understanding of dairy in the two countries. Acknowledgements will only be sent to shortlisted applicants.
EADD is an equal opportunity employer.