Every week we feature a fun and/or educational activity you can try at home or in the classroom. The U.S. wears a mask of western wealth, but hunger and poverty are still a reality for many communities in the Arkansas Delta and Appalachia. Heifer International is making a difference in our own backyard with the Seeds of Change project.
On Mother’s Day, you can make a difference too. Heifer’s Gift Catalog offers ideas that will impact mothers worldwide and create positive, lasting change. And to present your mom with this alternative gift, make a Mother’s Day card that will let her watch love grow.
What you need:
Follow these steps:
- Cut out the flower pot from the printable template.
- Once your seed paper is ready, cut out four flowers that are one inch smaller than the width of the flower pot.
- Write a message on the first three flowers like “I love you,” or “World’s Best Mom.” (One word on each flower.)
- Glue the photo to the fourth flower.
- Cut out grass to place at the top of the flower pot, or use the grass template.
- Cut a piece of yarn long enough to place all four flowers on its length.
- In order of your message, glue (tape or staple) the flowers to the yarn; leaving a small tab at the top to pull the flowers out of the pot when finished.
- Glue the bottom of the yarn to the inside bottom of the flower pot.
- Glue the flower pot template together, let dry.
- Write “Happy Mother’s Day” on the front of the flower pot.
Once you are done, insert the flowers and yarn into the flower pot. When you pull on the yarn tab, the flowers will come out revealing your message and lastly, your photo. Make sure Mom plants her seed paper flowers so she can watch love grow from her Mother’s Day card. Simply place the seed paper flowers into raked ground, cover with about half an inch of soil and keep moist. Germination should take about six to eight weeks.