One of the easiest things we can do to help the Earth is to recycle. Not only is recycling easy, it also has some of the greatest benefits such as: saving energy, conserving natural resources and limiting pollution.
How to get started with recycling:
- Find local recycling center program in your area. Check out Earth911.com to find a center in your area.
- Start sorting things out by paper, plastic, aluminum or glass.
- Once you have collected enough recyclables, you can drop it off at the recycling center.
If there isn’t a recycling center program in your area, see how you can reuse some of the items you currently have.
You can reuse a plastic bag by:
- Using it as a trash can liner
- Taking it out for doggy duty
- Carrying soggy laundry
- Packing tomorrow’s lunch
You can reuse a glass jar by:
- Using as drinking glasses
- Storing leftovers
- Use to create vinaigrette or marinade
Not enough to convince you? How about this:
- Creating a new aluminum can from scratch takes 95% more energy than making a can from recycled aluminum.
- In the average home, 40% of all electricity used to power home electronics is consumed while the products are turned off. Across the US, this equals the annual output of 17 power plants.
- Almost 40% of America’s waste is paper and could be recycled, meaning fewer trees cut down.
Still want more information? Check out these sites: