It’s unfortunate that, just as I’m beginning to get comfortable with Heifer Uganda staff, as well as the other Africa Area Program country directors, it’s almost time to leave them. I can’t compare them to our other Country Program staff in the field, because I’ve yet to spend time with them. But you should definitely know that these folks are pretty awesome. Here are a handful of reasons why:
1. They are so, so, so kind. And not just to those of us from the US; the level of commitment to helping the poor in communities all over the continent is inspiring.
2. They are very sharp. I feel like I’ve got a fair grasp on rural/community/agricultural development. Often, though, I find myself trying to catch up with what they’ve been talking about (and it’s not the accents to blame!). I’m sure it’s because they’re in the field all the time, but they seriously have their stuff down.
3. They are remarkably down to Earth. Yesterday afternoon and most of today, we were surrounded by lush, green vegetation. I think it would be impossible to live here–even despite the hardships–without being down to Earth. They are also passionate enough, however, to continue to be hopeful.
4. They are welcoming. I never would have guessed I’d feel so at home 9,000 miles away from my family.
5. They have a great sense of humour, which makes them loads of fun to hang around with. I look forward to seeing them again… here in Africa OR back in Little Rock.